A Tribute To Steven Bochco


View mobile-friendly version

Don't like reading? Look below!
 
Click here or the image above to watch this post on YouTube

On Easter Sun, Apr 1st, 2018 - celebrated TV producer and series creator Steven Bochco died from cancer. This really struck a nerve with me due to the major role that his work had played in my life during my late childhood into adolescence.

What follows is a tribute to one of the greatest and most prolific visionaries of modern TV history.

Television viewing in the Springer household, my childhood home, was centered around the works of such 80's legends as Aaron Spelling, Michael Landon, Garry Marshall, Stephen J. Cannell, Paul Junger Witt and - of course - Steven Bochco.

Be it The A-Team, L.A. Law, Little House on the Prairie or Golden Girls (among other shows), these men all had a way of grabbing your attention, gluing your eyes to the TV set and keeping you enthralled for 30 to 60 minutes at a time - usually to the detriment of any unfinished homework, studying or chores :)

Coming out of TV's fledgling generation, writers and producers like Mr Bochco were uniquely endowed with an eye and ear for audio-visual storytelling. They understood that television was the most powerful medium of that period, one which could be used to tell impactful stories about our past or to highlight societal issues which might otherwise be swept under the carpet.

It was a medium through which all could enjoy major passions like sports and entertainment, and one which could hopefully use those passions to unite us (or at least to teach us understanding of and tolerance for each other).

The dramas and comedies of producers like Steven Bochco, for better or worse, helped to mold my opinions and general outlook on society and the world at large.

They taught me about various cultures, ethnicities and that there was a whole world out there besides the US and Canada. Some even taught me all-American ideals and about what life was like in the old days.

In short, Mr Bochco and his peers created charismatic, formidable, well-scripted characters... characters portrayed by actors so superbly talented that I felt as if they had journeyed through life with me in a most symbolic way, endearing themselves to my childhood family because we identified so deeply with them.

Through these compelling stories and their larger than life players, my siblings and I can recount the best and worst chapters of our lives.



I can't speak for my family, but these people were more than entertainers to me... they were like siblings, elders and confidantes... folks whose very nature made adolescence that much easier to go through.

Hence when I heard that Mr Bochco was gone, much like when I learn of the demise of any other celebrity of that era, the loss felt real.

I'm somewhat comforted, however, by happy childhood memories of watching his work and the warm feeling that comes over me as I reminisce about it.

Besides, through the magic of the TVLand channel and the Internet in general, I can relive those days whenever I want to.

Donna's Glorious Giveaways Last Week On Donna's Glorious Giveaways:
Peer Promos For May 25th, 2018


Thanks for the life lessons and treasured quality time with my family, Mr Bochco - for that you will always hold a special place in my heart.


So long, guys

Donna


Like this post? Then click here to make sure you never miss one like it!

Wanna sneak a peek at my unlisted posts? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

<center>The Cruel But Inevitable Circle Of Life</center>

Donna's Diary: The Cruel But Inevitable Circle Of Life View mobile-friendly version Don't like reading? Look below!   Clic...

Top Posts